Sunday, September 25, 2005


Some people love the day and some love the night... The traditional view in religious literature, movies, etc has been that night (e.g. darkness/blackness) represents "evil" while lightness/whiteness represents "good". I happen to love the night, darkness, and blackness - and yet I don't really think of myself as evil. Why do I like the night? There are several good reasons...

The night is a time of peace. This explains the title of my blog "Nocturnal Serenity". After the sun goes down, life settles down as well. Animals go to sleep. Birds quiet down. People go to sleep. Traffic disappears (at least somewhat). The general buzz of life fades. For those who enjoy staying up and awake during these "dead" hours, there is a great peacefulness. The hurry of life disappears.

The lighting is awesome. Photographers would argue against me, but in my opinion, nighttime light is better. Looking at nature under the nighttime sky is truly majestic. Perhaps it is because the shape of the world around us becomes more apparent as the colours become less of a distraction. The shadows and outlines are strong, crisp, and beautiful. It is easier to see the "big picture" at night when the details (distracting by day) fade.

It is intimate. Perhaps this results from most people being asleep. Or maybe the darkness gives a sense of privacy. For whatever reason, the nighttime has always been a semi-magical time to enjoy time alone, time with God, and time with people. When you spend time with someone at night, you see less of what they look like and more of who they are...

The nighttime holds many great memories for me and I know many more will be had in the future... Here are just a few samples of some great nights in my past.

Sitting on a living room floor enjoying the company of Jason (another nightdweller). Sometimes watching bad sci-fi movies and sometimes discussing philosophy, ethics, etc. Never with an agenda but always with purpose and significance.

Sitting outside on the "hotplates" wearing a robe at Avondale college. Across from me sits Sharona and we share stories and advice with each other for hours.

Looking through a telescope at stars, constellations, and moon from behind Avondale's science building. Daniel Vokurka shares information and names with Daniel Iglesias, Sharona, and myself as we exam the moon in awe.

Walking barefoot completely alone for miles along a beautiful beach on the small Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia. The warm summer air and the cool offshore breeze swirl around as I listen to trance music and ponder deep thoughts about God, the future, and life.

Peacefully sitting on church pew with Michelle for hours in an empty majestic sanctuary. Talking without talking. Appreciating someone who... understands.

Eating fresh caught fish over rice in an empty dorm with Rey and Daniel - laughing about stories from the past.

Sitting on the swing bridge at Avondale over the lovely Dora Creek with my two mates Dieter and Sharona for hours - watching the water, stars, and an adventurous possum.

Countless late nights sitting alone at my computer and enjoying quality time with someone through phone calls, chats, or e-mails for hours. Barrie... Bonita... Sharona... Michelle... Jason... and many more names come to mind.

Enjoying a bonfire at Russel Harder's house for my 21st birthday with many many close friends who wanted to celebrate with me.

Playing a variety of games with my Kiwi roomy Ben - and sometimes even studying or writing papers...

Enthusiastically practicing guitar with Richie downstairs while mum and dad sleep.

Standing in a cave on the coast of Australia, watching the waves crash against rocks and glow bright blue/green as the microscopic phosphorescent creatures lit up.

The list could literally go on for pages. I have so many great memories from nights in my past!! There is a time and a place for everything and it just so happens that a lot of the good times in my life have been at night. I believe I'll always love the night.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"In the still of the night, I go walkin' in my sleep...." Lol!! Nice first blog entry. Yes, the night time is awesome!! But more so if you feel safe and secure--like when I'm with you on a bench in front campus at Union.

Have a great night now, while you sleep!! I wish I was with you!! Much Love!!

Roberta S said...

Happened on your blog quite by accident but truly enjoyed the read. I fully understand your thoughts -- I think I do -- why else would I be reading this at 4:29 a.m. instead of going to bed like normal people do. :)

Richard said...

WOOHOO I'M IN UR BLAWRG


how do i link myself to ur page?

Richard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Richard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brandon said...

Bwahahaha, we'll get you linked up Richie-mon. No worries. Thanks to everyone's posts thusfar - you will be a large part of what keeps me motivated to continue posting!

and by the way, I wish I was with ya too Michelle!

blue nurse said...

BRANDON!!!
I really enjoyed your first ever blog!!! Congrats, dude!!
And I am so glad that I got to share in so many of them - they were so much fun!! :D
Keep up the great blogs,

Brandon said...

Yay, the BLUE NURSE has arrived! I actually seem to have tons of great memories of the night that somehow are connected to you - but I couldn't include them all :P

I hope for many more in the future!

Melody said...

Ditto - on the deep thoughts comment. I feel like I understand you better and just love you all the more (if that's possible).

"Mum"

Brandon said...

Uh oh - mum and sister have joined the crowd - I'll have to be careful about what I say now...

Naaahhhhhhh...

Anonymous said...

Ah, you seem to be unable to reconcile your evil side to yourself. Tragically that means that you can't work at the new school my sister and I are starting. It's called Noir College, and it's based on the school system that Roger Waters talks out against in his master-work "The Wall". Oh well, it would have been cool to have Jesus at Noir.

Brandon said...

Nay nay! I never said I wasn't evil - I just said I didn't THINK of myself as evil. I may very well be the most evil being around and therefor I think I should apply at Noir... I must get more info.