Saturday, August 19, 2006


Language is such a funny thing... I recently watched a pirated Chinese copy of the Bollywood Indian movie Jajantaram Mamantaram - dubbed and subtitled in English. The dubs are hilarious by themselves (not to mention the movie itself) but the subtitles are even better. The make an attempt at sounding like the right words even if the meaning is completely different!

Translation has a rich and humourous history. For example, Engrish.com and the Engrish wikipedia page...

Close to my heart resides a classic gaming mistranslation. The Sega game Zero Wing was famously butchered during the translation, leading to possibly the most famous (and hilarious) opening cutscene ever. Phrases such as "All your base are belong to us" (see picture above) and "Somebody set up us the bomb" have become internet legends now. Check the story out at wikipedia's page or watch the original intro and flash animation which made it so popular in the first place.

Most recently, I stumbled upon a brilliant non-legit subtitling of a Chinese pirated copy of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith aka "Star War the Third Gathers: Backstroke of the West." This stuff is hilarious. Somebody took photos of some of the more amusing scenes and posted them on his blog with comments. Even people who are not particularly Star Wars nerds should find this hilarious. So, I leave you with these thoughts and sites to ponder. May the wish power are together with you!

3 comments:

Key to Happiness said...

too funny

Della said...

Ahh Engrish... will make your dream come true in happy wishness monkey! ;)

Excalibur said...

Did my post on Jen's blog inspire this? I had originally typed "I'll be back", but wanting to sound less Schwarzenaggeresque, I changed it to "I will return"... but forgot to delete the "be". Of course my brother would never miss a chance to make fun of me in public! The punk. Just wait Chuck...