Saturday, February 03, 2007

This Christmas break, I went to my sister's wedding in Portland and stayed at a Scottish themed resort/hotel for a day. Grandma and I searched for our clan shield and eventually found it. Yes, I have Scottish heritage! I come from the MacKay clan in the Strathnaver lands to the far north.

"The warlike reputation of the clan is echoed in the family motto, 'with a strong hand'"

"...by 1875 the direct line of the clan had died out, with the entire MacKay country being in the hands of the Lords of Sutherland."

Apparently we weren't using our strong hand or something... What a shame. Maybe if I'd been on the fields with my kilt and claymore, we would have had a chance.

Our tartan is pretty sweet, by the way (see background fabric of the shield). I'll have to invest in a proper kilt one of these days.

1 comment:

Melody said...

AND visit Scotland for yourself!!!