Sunday, October 02, 2005


<>WhooHA! I have survived week 1 of college... The amount of homework is rather surprising I must say, but I'm staying ahead of the game so far. Except calculus. Calculus is the giant wave building behind me as I swim hard for the end of the quarter. Nobody really knows yet if the wave will drown me first or not...

In an effort to stay sane, however, I've been getting involved in NON-homework related activities. An example would be Amnesty International! More will be said on this subject later, but we had our first meeting (over tea, cheese, and crackers) and I'm downright excited about it! I am officially the Administrative VP of the club here, but I have yet to determine exactly what that means. In any case, I'm ready for it!

Another example would be Salvador. This is a fairly well known band in Christian circles - a bunch of Hispanic guys from Texas with great music! I was loving the trumpet and bass guitar particularly. The atmosphere was great - a strong sense of cultural diversity. Half the songs were in English and half in Spanish. I was enjoying the music next to my friend Riki (from Jamaica), a huge group of Hispanics, and many other cultures!

Last example: Lake Jubilie (see picture at top). I am part of the biology club here at WWC (stop laughing - I joined because it is apparently the most active club around for field trips and stuff). Saturday afternoon, they had a trip out to Jubilie Lake in Oregon. I won't get TOO detailed into all that happened, but the important parts are:
-It was raining at college.
-It was 60F at college, so I wore sweatpants and a light cotton shirt.
-On the way to the lake, we (Donny, Stephanie, and myself) drove through snow/sleet.
-It was 36F at the lake (up in the MOUNTAINS - something I didn't realize before).
-It was raining at the lake.
All of this led to a VERY cold afternoon, but on the whole quite enjoyable. The scenery was great, I got to meet some new and old friends, and there WAS a fire (along with hotdogs and smores). I even paddled out on a canoe for a while :)

4 comments:

Melody said...

Indeed, it looks like a nice place, but you did look a mite cold. And what dad wants to know is: How is it that you didn't have other people in the canoe with you? Did you forget your deodorant? :-)

Seriously, where were all the other people? I didn't see any other canoes or people on the shore or anything! Just Brandon with a cold-looking nose.

Love you!!
Mom

Brandon said...

Yeah, I kinda hopped in my own canoe and paddled out into a little cove sort of area...

There were probably 40 others that came, but most of the them had already gone on the canoes...

I kinda hope deoderant wasn't a problem - I get the feeling that everyone's noses were too cold to smell much of anything anyway :P

Della said...

Brr! That temperature at the lake makes my toes feel cold :-/ Glad you're having a good time at uni, though!

The big question is, is it better than Avonjail? ;) No... that could never happen! *teehee* :)

Brandon said...

I could not claim that it is better than Avonjail.