Friday, November 04, 2005

Founder's Theater

Thursday night, one particular event stood out - a concert! A FREE concert! A GREAT free concert!

I found out about a free concert by two groups I'd never heard of last minute at tea with some friends. I caught Sarah online with instant messenger and convinced her to take a break from studying calculus long enough to go check out this concert... The venue was packed with several hundred college students - enthusiastic college students! The opening act was put on by an indie group who's lead singer happens to be Casey Luport (an American I met back at Avondale) - good music!

Then came the truly great stuff! The group An Dóchas (Gaelic for “The Hope”) played an amazing couple hours of beautiful high energy Irish music. They used a wide variety of instruments, vocals, and styles, but what really added to the experience was the dancers! They were an amazing group (Haran Irish Dancers) and the crowd REALLY got into the mood. In fact, the whole place felt like a pub some of the time with all the energy, clapping, and stomping! Really amazing performance - one of the best concerts I've ever witnessed! (and for all you folks back home, they are coming to Atlanta this December...)

I was an idiot for not bringing my camera... But what an experience! A perfect break from the routine of homework.

Go check 'em out here: An Dóchas - highly recommended folks! You can even download a few songs from their site to get a taste of what I'm talking about...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Wish I could have been there!!

Della said...

That sounds like a great night :-D