Thursday, February 23, 2006

The official Egg Drop contest took place today and more than 30 groups of college students, high schoolers, and elementry kids launched their egg-protecting contraption from the roof of one of the campus buildings (about 35 feet high) - aiming at the frying pan on the sidewalk. I feel like an idiot because I forgot to put my battery in my camera. So no pictures of the actual contest :(

The highlight had to be when the president of the college (one of the judges for the event) was almost assassinated by a soccer-shaped design which students hurled a few inches from his head. It was not intentional ... at least I think that's true...

Jose and I submitted our project: The CushionMaster 6000 which performed marvelously (although we won no prizes). Last night we spent hours testing our design and many eggs were sacrificed to reach the final product... It's a bit hard to describe, but basically we managed to stuff the egg inside an empty balloon and then cushioned it (inside a cardboard box) with other balloons. The design was relatively lightweight, used few parts, could survive a fall from any height, and (most importantly) was fun to make. Next year I'm setting my goal on a guided descent which will take a lot more work and creativity.

Tonight is the Engineering Banquet where I will be listening to Bob Colwell - the designer (or possibly project manager?) for the first Pentium chip. I don't know what to expect really, but it should be interesting.

I'm still attempting to sort out my Australia plans. Plane tickets are expensive and I can't really figure a way around that. Oh well - now I just have to minimize cost and figure out when I actually am going :)

Next week could be lethal - 3 scary tests coming up, but if I study hard over the weekend (yeah right) then I should be ok. Miss you all!

For random stuff to check out, take a look at these: Guns - Episode 81 (Public Radio International) and Hieronymus Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will have to ask Michael how as a senior in high school at Southern for college days he and two of his friends beat all the college students and won 100 dollars landing the egg with one bounce in the frying pan. You will also have to ask him about the "High Tech" device they used to protect the egg.

Brandon said...

Hehe, sounds intriguing! The winner this time was a simple cone made of a sheet of paper with the egg inside. The tip of the cone absorbed the shock.

I had already heard rumors of the design several weeks ago, but I wanted to try something new and different. Doesn't pay as well, but more satisfying I think.

Della said...

Good luck with the tests! And with getting tickets out to Aus at reasonable prices. Have you talked to Kris yet about maybe coming over in her luggage? :D

Sweet Onion said...

Hey dude. Yeah, so my brother's design wasn't that original, and at least he freely admitted he just copied a guy from last year but just did a tiny improvement to it. A lot of it is just luck, and THEN there's the COOL designs--the funky ones with colors and streamers and bright colored straws and paper and...

So I did a Hironymous Bosch presentation last year in one of my classes. I think a lot of it just went over student's head, but I've been a fan of his whacked-out-ness for several years now, ever since my Art History Prof at my other Uni pointed him out to me. Any guy with the name Hironymous coupled with Bosch is one I admire ;o). So have you figured out any of his symbols in "The Garden of Earthly Delights" and noticed weird odd things like how in the depiction of hell, he paints his own face looking out at the viewer? See if you can find his face. Its rather fun really.

Or then of course naked men strung on harps, and little devils shoving spears into horrible human anatomy, and then the little pigs dressed as nuns--ALL IN HELL. Hmmmmm. Quite disturbing really, but I cannot help but smile absurdly at it.

And dude, I want to go to Australia with you and your group. If I wasn't in school then.... I totally would. You could put your tour off until August, AND THEN I could go!!! :o). Sigh. Is Michelle going too? What's her decision on planting herself in the land of the WW Sweet Onion?

Anyway. I should push off. I'm at work, but there's not much going on--I'm actually hoping to get off work early to go put my check in the bank and just bum around. The Senate is in session, so the speakers blare out what the SEnators are discussing over there--in fact, just now, the R's yelled out, "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" against a bill that was being voted on. And they lost. Because the D's have two votes more than they do. Great fun and all.

Cheerio!!! Tootle loo!!

Brandon said...

Hahaha, gotta love those politics ;)

Well Della, I have managed to obtain my own ticket to Aus withing having to sell a kidney. I should have checked with Kris/luggage first though - grrrr.

Jen, I figured you knew Bosch quite well ;) I think it's an awsome name! I haven't scrutinized his paintings a whole lot yet, but I did notice Hell being quite the interesting scene.

COME TO AUS SOMETIME! It should be ton of fun. A tonne of fun. Michelle isn't planning on coming this time due to finances mainly, but there's always next time... No decisions yet about planting for next school year, but we'll see.

Sweet Onion said...

***whine whine whine*** so you can have all your friends and yourself included change your airplane tickets to August so I can go :o)to Aussie land too. Just please, don't write about your grand fun stuff on your blog. I'll be Mauve with jealousy. :*) Especially since I'll be pounding biology books about then.

Brandon said...

Biology?? What's that about?

Don't worry, I'll write about it on my blog AND post pictures AND send you e-mails about how wonderful it is ;) If it helps, think of it as a good friend doing some preliminary scouting for you...

Anonymous said...

Back a decade or so ago, John Ash and Fred Christiansen put together a parachute equiped RC truck and then used a video camera and image recognition software (I helped a bit with the code) to get to the pan. They never did get it to work during the contest - first time, software errors, second time parachute malfunction and broken truck - but when everything worked, it was impressive. All I can say is that if you plan to do something that involves more than a good throwing arm, luck and lots of padding, budget huge amounts of time.