Wednesday, July 22, 2009


Whenever I purchase electronics, I aim for the best. 'Best' is a very subjective word. For me, it means the perfect balance between price, features, and quality. The information to make a good choice is out there, but it often takes intensive research before discovering the winner.

My mp3 player was stolen this past year and I recently began the quest to purchase a new one. I'd like to present some of my discoveries along the way.

Currently, in the mp3 market, iPod reigns supreme (like Microsoft in the OS business). Without a doubt, iPods look nice and they work. However, are they the 'best' on the market? I've settled on a 'no' for that answer. For you, the answer might be yes, but just consider your options before investing in a new mp3 player.

First, how are mp3 players used? There are a number of common uses to consider:
- A lightweight music player for people who exercise
- A way to enjoy traveling more - in crowded planes and buses.
- A way to share music, pictures, and videos with friends and family
- A way to access a music library in a car or home without bringing a stack of scratch-able cds.

I discovered a website titled anythingbutipod.com which, of course sounds like a completely unbiased website. After some investigating however, this site simply aims to raise awareness of alternative products to consumers. It contains news, reviews, comparisons, and forums relating to mp3 players.

There are a number of reputable brands including Sony, Sandisk, Cowon, Microsoft, and Creative that offer excellent portable music players. If you are looking for a new player, I'd recommend browsing this Buyer's Guide which helps you pinpoint what you are looking for in an mp3 player.

More on my sweet new mp3 player soon!

1 comment:

Sweet Onion said...

So are you saying you haven't decided what type of MP3 player you are getting?

I've been wanting one, but so far have held out on buying it due to the expensive nature of iPods.

Keep me informed!

Now, my turn to go write a post.